Organic synthesis provides access to molecules of interest in the field of medicine, materials, and catalysis. We pursue interdisciplinary research combining organic chemistry with biology to develop new paradigms in medicinal chemistry.
We develop new methodologies for the synthesis of diverse molecules that may be utilized as lead molecules for understanding structure and function of therapeutic targets in cellular system. Specific areas of interest include transition-metal catalyzed and meta-free processes, organocatalysis and development of new reactions in aqueous media. We also focus on chemical approaches that can find applications in drug delivery and biomolecular devices.
1) T. Mandal, G. Chakraborti, S. Maiti, J. Dash, Org. Lett. 2019, 21, 19, 8044-8048.
2) S Karmakar, T Mandal, J. Dash, Eur. J. Org. Chem. 2019, 5916-5924.
3) T Ghosh, S Jana, J. Dash, Org. Lett., 2019, 21, 6690-6694.
4) G. Chakraborti, S. Paladhi, T. Mandal, J. Dash, J. Org. Chem. 2018, 83, 7347-7359. highlighted in Organic Chemistry Portal; https://www.organic-chemistry.org/abstracts/lit6/393.shtm).
5) T. Mandal, G. Chakraborti, S. Karmakar, J. Dash, Org. Lett. 2018, 20, 4759−4763.
6) S. Maiti, L. Burgula, G. Chakraborti, J. Dash, Eur. J. Org. Chem. 2017, 332-340.
7) K. Dhara, T. Mandal. J. Das, J. Dash Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2015, 54, 15831-15835.
8) G. C. Midya, A. Kapat, S. Maiti, J. Dash, J. Org. Chem. 2015, 80, 4148–4151. Highlighted in Organic Chemistry Portal, http://www.organic-chemistry.org/abstracts/lit4/898.shtm
9) S. Paladhi,J. Das, M. Samanta, J. Dash, Adv. Synth. & Catal. 2014, 356, 3370-3376.
Targeting Non-canonical Nucleic Acids
Nucleic acids play important roles in living systems such as storage of genetic information, replication, transcription, and translation. DNA can adopt a variety of secondary structures including G-quadruplex, i-motif, triplex, hairpin etc. Secondary structures formed from RNA (miRNA, HIV-TAR RNA, etc.) are equally important in regulating the expression of proteins, which mediate important biological functions. Therefore, these secondary structures have largely evolved as important drug targets in nucleic acid targeted therapeutics. We synthesize a variety of small molecules: natural products and their analogues, peptidomimetics and nucleosides for the selective recognition of secondary nucleic acid structures over double helical DNA. We employ rational design, target-assisted combinatorial chemistry, biophysical chemistry and molecular biology to develop and evaluate new chemical scaffolds that can regulate the structure and function of nucleic acids (DNA and RNA).
1) M. Debnath, K. Fatma, J. Dash, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2019, 57, 2942-2957.
2) P. Saha, D. Panda, J. Dash, Chem. Commun. 2019, 55, 731-750.
3) D. Panda, P. Saha, R. Chaudhuri, P., Thumpati, Y. Ravichandiran, J. Dash, Anal. Chem. 2019, 18, 7705-7711.
4) S. Jana, D. Panda, P. Saha, D. Pantos, J. Dash, J. Med. Chem. 2019, 62, 762-773.
5) D. Dutta, M. Debnath, D. Müller, R. Paul, T. Das, I. Bessi, H. Schwalbe, J. Dash ,Nucleic Acids Res. 2018, 46, 5355-5365.
6) M. Debnath, R. Paul, D. Panda, J. Dash, ACS Synth. Biol.2018, 7, 1456-1464.
7) S. Maiti, P. Saha, T. Das, I. Bessi,H. Schwalbe, J. Dash, Bioconjugate Chem. 2018, 29, 1141-1154.
8) M. Debnath, S. Ghosh, A. Chauhan, R. Paul, K. Bhattacharyya, J. Dash, Chem. Sc. 2017, 8, 7448-7456.
9) D. Panda, P. Saha, T. Das, J. Dash, Nature communications, 2017, 8, 16103.
10) M. Debnath, S. Ghosh, D. Panda, I. Bessi, H. Schwalbe, K. Bhattacharyya, J. Dash, Chem. Sci. 2016, 7, 3279-3285.
Supramolecular Chemistry of Nucleic Acids
The nucleic acids DNA and RNA are the most interesting bio-polymers, in which the five naturally occurring nucleobases adenine, cytosine, guanine, thymine and uracil are involved in H-bonding interactions. The double-stranded DNA/RNA structures are mainly based on the complementary Watson–Crick H-bonding pairings of guanine with cytosine, and adenine with thymine (or uracil), while the G-rich DNA/RNA strands fold to form G-quadruplex structures that contain Hoogsteen H-bonding assembly of four guanines. Our current research is focused on supramolecular chemistry of nucleic acids and their components to generate bio-inspired nano-structures, hydrogels and transmembrane ion channels.
1) M. Debnath, S. Chakraborty, Y. P. Kumar, R. Chaudhuri, B. Jana, J. Dash, Nature communications, 2020, (accepted).
2) T Bhattacharyya, R Chaudhuri, KS Das, R Mondal, S Mandal, J. Dash, ACS Appl. Bio Mat., 2019, 2, 3171-3177.
3) T. Bhattacharyya, P. Saha, J. Dash, ACS Omega, 2018, 3, 2230–2241.
4) R. N. Das,Y. P. Kumar, S. A. Kumar,O. M. Schütte,C. Steinem, J. Dash, Chem. Eur. J. 2018, 24, 4002-4005.
5) T. Bhattacharyya, Y. P. Kumar, J. Dash, ACS Biomat. Sci. & Eng. 2017, 3, 2358-2365.
6) A. Ghosh, B. Parasar, T. Bhattacharyya, J. Dash, Chem. Commun. 2016, 52, 11159-11162.
7) Y. P. Kumar, R. Nath Das, O. M. Schütte, C. Steinem, J. Dash, Nat. Protoc. 2016, 11, 1039-1056
8) R. N. Das, Y. P. Kumar, O. M. Schütte, C. Steinem, J. Dash, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2015, 137, 34–37.
Associate Professor, IACS, 2014-2018
Assistant Professor, Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science (IACS), Kolkata, 2012-2014
Assistant Professor, Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER), Kolkata, 2009-2012
Visiting Fellow, May-July 2010, University of Bristol, UK
(with Professor Stephen Mann, FRS).
Marie-Curie Fellow, 2007-2009, University of Cambridge, UK
(Research advisor: Professor Sir Shankar Balasubramanian, FRS).
Postdoctoral Fellow, 2006-2007, ESPCI-Paris, France
(Research advisor: Professor Janine Cossy).
Alexander von Humboldt Fellow, 2004-2006, Freie Universität Berlin, Germany
(Research advisor: Professor Dr. Hans-Ulrich Reissig).
Ph.D. (Synthetic Organic Chemistry), Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India, 2003
(Research advisor: Prof. F. A. Khan).
M.Sc. (Chemistry), Ravenshaw University, Cuttack, India.
119) "Thiazole Containing PNA Mimic Regulates c-MYC Gene Expression through DNA G-quadruplex" A. Gorai, R. Chaudhuri,
T. K. Mukhopadhyay, A. Datta, J. Dash*, Bioconjugate Chemistry 2022 (accepted).
118) Cycloaddition of N-sulfonyl and N-sulfamoyl azides with alkynes in aqueous media for the
selective synthesis of 1,2,3-triazoles, P.Thumpati, G. Chakraborti, T. Mandal, V. Ravichandiran, J. Dash*,
Green Chemistry, 2022, 24, 911-915.
117) Ring closing metathesis for the construction of carbazole and indole-fused natural products
T. Mandal, J. Dash*, Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry, 2021, 19, 9797-9808 (perspective).
116) "Triazolyl Dibenzo[a,c]phenazines Stabilize Telomeric G-quadruplex and Inhibit Telomerase",
S. Pal, K. Fatma, V. Ravichandiran, J. Dash*, Asian J. Org. Chem. 2021, 10, 2921-2926.
115) "Potassium tert-Butoxide Promoted Synthesis of Dihydroquinazolinones",
T. Ghosh, I. MANDAL, S. Basak, J. Dash*, J. Org. Chem. 2021, 86, 14695-14704. Highlighted in SYNFACTS (Synfacts 2022, 10.1055/s-0041-1737738) and Organic Chemistry Portal (https://www.organic-chemistry.org/abstracts/lit8/187.shtm)
114) "Studies Directed towards the Synthesis of Acridone Family of Natural Products:Total Synthesis of Acronycines and
Atalaphyllidines" T. Mandal, S. Karmakar, A. Kapat, J. Dash*, ACS Omega, 2021, 6, 27062-27069.
113) A [3+2] Cycloaddition-1,2-Acyl Migration-Hydrolysis Cascade for Regioselective Synthesis of 1,2,3-Triazoles in Water,
G. Chakraborti, T. Mandal, C. P. Roy, J. Dash*, Chemical Communications, 2021, 57, 7970-7973.
112) “Binding Insights into Quadruplex Selective Carbazole Ligands”
D Müller, P Saha, D. Panda, J. Dash,* H Schwalbe*, Chemistry–A European Journal, 2021, 27, 12726-12736.
111) “G4 Sensing Pyridyl-thiazole Polyamide Represses c-KIT Expression in Leukemia Cells”
R. Paul, D. Dutta, T. Das, M. Debnath, J. Dash*, Chemistry - A European Journal, 2021, 27, 8590-8599. DOI:10.1002/chem.202100907.
110) Supramolecular Template Directed In Situ Click Chemistry: A Bio-inspired Approach to Synthesize
G-quadruplex DNA Ligands, T. Bhattacharyya, D. Panda, J. Dash*, Organic Letters, 2021, 23, 3004-3009.
109) Nucleic acid secondary structures for therapeutic and biomolecular device applications
S Bhattacharya, J. Dash*, Chem. Sci. Rep., 2021, (Invited Review Article).
108) Prolinamide plays a key role in promoting copper-catalyzed cycloaddition of azides and alkynes in aqueous media
via unprecedented metallacycle intermediates; G. Chakraborti, R. Jana, T. Mandal, A. Datta,* J. Dash*,
Organic Chemistry Frontiers, 2021, 8, 2434-2441.
107) “Regulation of Gene Expression by Targeting DNA Secondary Structures"
R. Chaudhuri, K. Fatma, J. Dash*, Journal of Chemical Sciences. 2021,133. (perspective).
106) “A DNA nanosensor for monitoring ligand-induced i-motif formation”
P. Saha, D. Panda, R. Paul, J. Dash*, Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry, 2021, 19, 1965-1969. DOI: 10.1039/D1OB00248A.
105) "Site-selective Aerobic C–H Mono-Acylation of Carbazoles Using Palladium Catalysis"
S. Maiti, T. Mandal, B. Dash, J. Dash*, J. Org. Chem. 2021, 86, 1396-1407.
104) "Recent Update on Targeting c‐MYC G‐Quadruplexes by Small Molecules for Anticancer Therapeutics"
R. Chaudhuri, S. Bhattacharya, J. Dash,* S. Bhattacharya*, J. Med. Chem. 2021, 64, 42-70.
103) “Domino Relay Olefin Metathesis of Triallyl Oxindole and Indole Precursors to Access Cyclic Indoxyls and Carbazoles”
T. Mandal, K. Dhar, N. Parui, J. Dash*, ChemCatChem, 2020, 12, 4754–4759. (This publication is part of a Special Collection on “The Catalysis of Ring Synthesis).
102) "Carbon dot cross-linked gelatin nanocomposite hydrogel for pH-sensing and pH-responsive drug delivery"
SK Bhattacharyya, M Dule, R Paul, J Dash, M Anas, TK Mandal, P Das,
ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering, 2020, 6, 5662-5674.
101) In vivo experiments demonstrate the potent antileishmanial efficacy of repurposed suramin in visceral leishmaniasis,
S. Khanra,S. Kumar Juin,J. J. Jawed,S. Ghosh,S. Dutta,S. A. Nabi, J. Dash, D. Dasgupta,S. Majumdar, R. Banerjee,
PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases, 2020, doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0008575
100) "Target Directed Azide-Alkyne Cycloaddition for Assembling HIV-1 TAR RNA Binding Ligands";
R. Paul, D. Dutta, R. Paul, J. Dash* Angew. Chem. Int. Ed.. 2020, DOI: 10.1002/anie.202003461 and 10.1002/ange.2020034.
99) "Reductive aromatization of oxindoles to 3-substituted indoles"
T. Mandal, G. Chakraborti, J. Dash*, Tetrahedron Letters, 2020, 61..
98) "Click and combinatorial approaches to quadruplex ligand discovery" J. Dash*, P. Saha , K. Fatma,
Annual Reports in Medicinal Chemistry, Volume xx © 2020; ISSN 0065-7743,S. Neidle, Editor.
https://doi.org/10.1016/bs.armc.2020.04.003. (book chapter),
97) "In situ Formation of Transcriptional Modulators using Non-canonical DNA i-Motifs" P. Saha, D. Panda, D. Müller, A. Maity, H. Schwalbe, J. Dash*, Chemical Science 2020, (inside back cover).
96) "Ionophore constructed from non-covalent assembly of a G-quadruplex and liponucleoside transports K+-ion
across biological membranes" M. Debnath, S. Chakraborty, Y. P. Kumar, R. Chaudhuri, B. Jana, J. Dash*,
Nature Communications, 2020, 11.
95) "A G-quadruplex Specific Cell-Permeable Guanosine-Anthracene Conjugate Inhibits Telomere Elongation and Induces Apoptosis by Repressing c-MYC Gene"
P. Saha, Y. P. Kumar, T. Das, D. Müller, I. Bessi, H. Schwalbe, J. Dash*, Bioconjugate Chemistry 2019, 30, 3038-3045.
94) "G‐quadruplex Binding Small Molecule Induces Synthetic Lethality in Breast Cancer Cells by Inhibiting c‐MYC and BCL2 Expression" R. Paul, T. Das, M. Debnath, A. Chauhan, J. Dash*, ChemBioChem, 2019, 21, 963-970.
93) "Domino Grignard Addition and Oxidation for the One-Pot Synthesis of C2-Quaternary 2-Hydroxyindoxyls" T. Mandal, G. Chakraborti, S. Maiti, J. Dash*, Organic letters, 2019, 21, 8044-8048.
92) "Ring Closing Metathesis Approach for the Synthesis of o‐Terphenyl Derivatives" S Karmakar, T Mandal, J. Dash*, European Journal of Organic Chemistry 2019, 5916-5924.
91) "KOtBu-Promoted Transition-Metal-Free Transamidation of Primary and Tertiary Amides with Amines" T Ghosh, S Jana, J. Dash*, Organic letters, 2019, 21, 6690-6694. highlighted in Organic Chemistry Portal; https://www.organic-chemistry.org/abstracts/lit6/960.shtm
90) "Cytidine-Derived Hydrogels with Tunable Antibacterial Activities" T Bhattacharyya, R Chaudhuri, KS Das, R Mondal, S Mandal, J. Dash*, ACS Applied Bio Materials, 2019, 2, 3171-3177.
89) "Chemical Regulation of DNA i-Motifs for Nanobiotechnology and Therapeutics" M. Debnath, K. Fatma, J. Dash*, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2019, 57, 2942-2957.
88) “The application of click chemistry for targeting quadruplex nucleic acids” P. Saha, D. Panda, J. Dash*, Chem. Commun. 2019, 55, 731-750.
87) "A Competitive Pull-down Assay Using G-quadruplex DNA Linked Magnetic Nanoparticles to Determine Specificity of G-quadruplex Ligands" D. Panda, P. Saha, R. Chaudhuri, P. Thumpati, Y. Ravichandiran, J. Dash*, Analytical Chemistry, 2019, 91, 12, 7705-7711.
86) "Dynamic Generation of G-quadruplex DNA Ligands by Target-Guided Combinatorial Chemistry on a Magnetic Nano-platform" S.Jana, D. Panda, P. Saha, D. Pantos, J. Dash*, J. Med. Chem. 2019, 62, 762-773. Highlighted in nature INDIA, Magnetic nanotemplate for developing anticancer drugs, doi:10.1038/nindia.2019.5.
85) Microwave assisted cross-coupling reactions using palladium nanoparticles in aqueous media, K. Dhara, B. Parasar, A. J. Patil, J. Dash*, Synthetic Communications, 2019, 1-10.
84) "Guanosine derived supramolecular hydrogels: Recent developments and future opportunities" T. Bhattacharyya, P. Saha, J. Dash*, ACS Omega, 2018, 3, 2230–2241.
83) "Divergent and Orthogonal Approach to Carbazoles and Pyridoindoles from Oxindoles via Indole Intermediates" T. Mandal, G. Chakraborti, S. Karmakar, J. Dash*, Org. Lett. 2018, 20, 4759−4763.
82) "Small Molecule Driven Stabilization of Promoter G-quadruplexes and Transcriptional Regulation of c-MYC", T. Das, D. Panda, P. Saha, J. Dash* Bioconjugate Chemistry 2018, 29, 2636.
81) "Cell Penetrating Thiazole Peptides Inhibit c-MYC Expression via Site-Specific Targeting of c-MYC G-quadruplex" D. Dutta, M. Debnath, D. Müller, R. Paul, T. Das, I. Bessi, H. Schwalbe, J. Dash* Nucleic Acids Research 2018, 46, 5355-5365.
80) “In vitro screening of known drugs identified by scaffold hopping techniques shows promising leishmanicidal activity for suramin and netilmicin”S Khanra, YP Kumar, J Dash, R Banerjee, BMC research notes 2018, 11, 319.
79) "Enzyme-regulated DNA-based logic device" M. Debnath, R. Paul, D. Panda, J. Dash* ACS Synthetic Biology 2018, 7, 1456-1464. Highlighted in the Hindu http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/science/iacs-team-designs-logic-devices-for-dna-based-computation/article23627811.ece; Highlighted in Nature India,https://www.natureasia.com/en/nindia/article/10.1038/nindia.2018.50
78) "Design and synthesis of novel polyamine collector to recover iron values from iron ore slimes" A. S. Patra, N. V. R. Nulakani, Y. P. Kumar, V. Subramanian, J Dash, A. K. Mukherjee, Powder Technology, 2018, 325, 180-191.
77) "Human telomeric G-quadruplex selective fluoro-isoquinolines induce apoptosis in cancer cells" S. Maiti, P. Saha, T. Das, I. Bessi,H. Schwalbe, J. Dash*, Bioconjugate Chemistry, 2018, 29, 1141-1154.
76) "Self-assembly of a Guanosine Derivative to Form Nanostructures and Transmembrane Channels" R. N. Das,Y. P. Kumar, S. A. Kumar,O. M. Schütte,C. Steinem, J. Dash* Chemistry-A European Journal, 2018, 24, 4002-4005.
75) “On Water’’ promoted Ullmann type C-N bond forming reactions: Application to carbazole alkaloids by selective N-arylation of aminophenols, G. Chakraborti, S. Paladhi, T. Mandal, J. Dash*, Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2018, 83, 7347-7359 (special issue on 'Organic & Biocompatible Transformations in Aqueous Media'); highlighted in Organic Chemistry Portal; https://www.organic-chemistry.org/abstracts/lit6/393.shtm)
74) "Supramolecular hydrogel inspired from DNA structures mimics peroxidase activity" T. Bhattacharyya, Y. P. Kumar, J. Dash*, ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering, 2017, 3, 2358-2365.
73) "Preferential targeting of i-motifs and G-quadruplexes by small molecules", M. Debnath, S. Ghosh, A. Chauhan, R. Paul, K. Bhattacharyya, J. Dash*, Chemical Science 2017, 8, 7448-7456.
72) "Zinc-mediated efficient and selective reduction of carbonyl compounds", T. Mandal, S. Jana, J. Dash*, European Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2017, 4972-4983.
71) "Target guided synthesis using DNA nano-templates for selectively assembling a G-quadruplex binding c-MYC inhibitor", D. Panda, P. Saha, T. Das, J. Dash*, Nature communications, 2017, 8, 16103.
Highlighted in The Hindu, http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/health/a-quicker-novel-approach-to-cancer-drug-discovery/article19331788.ece/amp/
70) "Palladium-catalyzed pyridine-directed regioselective oxidative C–H acylation of carbazoles by using aldehydes as the acyl source", S. Maiti, L. Burgula, G. Chakraborti, J. Dash*, European Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2017, 332-340.
69) "Bipyridine facilitates regioselective dimerization of alkynes in the absence of transition metal", G. C. Midya,B. Parasar, S. Maiti, J. Dash* ChemistrySelect, 2017, 2, 5032-5037.
68) "Amino acid derived naphthalenediimides as versatile G-quadruplex binders", D. M. Rasadean, B. Sheng, J. Dash, G. D. Pantos*, Chemistry-A European Journal, 2017, 23, 8491-8499.
67) "Functional architectures derived from guanine quartet" J. Dash*, P. Saha, Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry 2016,14, 2157-2163.
66) "Targeting G-quadruplex with small molecules: An NMR view" I, Bessi, J. Wirmer-Bartoschek, J. Dash, H. Schwalbe, Modern Magnetic Resonance: 2nd edition, 2017, 1-22. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-28275-6_126-1.
65) Chiral carbon dots derived from guanosine 5'-monophosphate form supramolecular hydrogels", A. Ghosh, B. Parasar, T. Bhattacharyya, J. Dash*, Chemical Communications 2016, 52, 11159-11162.
64) "Synthesis of magnetic nanoparticles and polymer supported imidazolidinone catalysts for enantioselective Friedel-Crafts Alkylation of Indoles", S. Pagoti, T. Ghosh, J. Dash*, ChemistrySelect, 2016, 1, 4386-4391.
63) "Synthesis of fluorescent binaphthyl amines that bind c-MYC G-quadruplex DNA and repress c-MYC expression," A. Chauhan, R. Paul, M. Debnath, I. Bessi, S. Mandal, H. Schwalbe, J. Dash*, Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 2016, 59, 7275-7181.
62) "Transition metal-free terminal alkyne addition to isatins", K. Dhara, A. Kapat,T. Ghosh, J. Dash*, Synthesis, 2016, 48, 4260-4268.
61) "Small molecule regulated dynamic structural changes of human G-quadruplexes" M. Debnath, S. Ghosh, D. Panda, I. Bessi, H. Schwalbe, K. Bhattacharyya, J. Dash*, Chemical Science, 2016, 7, 3279-3285.
60) “Bis-triazolyl diguanosine derivatives as synthetic transmembrane ion channels” Y. P. Kumar, R. Nath Das, O. M. Schütte, C. Steinem*, J. Dash*, Nature Protocols, 2016, 11, 1039-1056.
59) “Selective recognition of c-MYC G-quadruplex DNA using prolinamide derivatives" A. Chauhan, S. Paladhi, M. Debnath, J. Dash*, Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry, 2016, 14, 5761-5767. (Invited article for New Talent Themed Issue).
58) "Fluorescent dansyl-guanosine conjugates that bind c-MYC promoter G-quadruplex and downregulate c-MYC expression" Y. P. Kumar, P. Saha, D. Saha, I. Bessi, H. Schwalbe, S. Chowdhury, J. Dash*, ChemBioChem. 2016, 17, 388-393.
57) "Synthesis of carbazole alkaloids by ring-closing metathesis and ring rearrangement–aromatization", K. Dhara, T. Mandal. J. Das, J. Dash* Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2015, 54, 15831-15835.
56) "A nucleus-imaging probe that selectively stabilizes a minor conformation of c-MYC G-quadruplex and down-regulates c-MYC transcription in human cancer cells." D. Panda, M. Debnath, S. Mandal, I. Bessi, H. Schwalbe, J. Dash*, Scientific Reports, 2015, 5, 13183.
55) "A DNA-inspired synthetic ion channel based on G−C base pairing", R. N. Das, Y. P. Kumar, O. M. Schütte, C. Steinem,* J. Dash*, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2015, 137, 34–37. (9) Highlighted in nature INDIA; https://www.natureasia.com/en/nindia/article/10.1038/nindia.2015.22
54) “Transition-metal free hydration of nitriles using potassiumtert-butoxide under anhydrous conditions” G. C. Midya, A. Kapat, S. Maiti, J. Dash,* Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2015, 80, 4148–4151. (19) Highlighted in Organic Chemistry Portal, http://www.organic-chemistry.org/abstracts/lit4/898.shtm
53) “C3-Symmetric pyridine and bipyridine derivatives: Simple preparation by cyclocondensation and 2D self-assembly at a solution-graphite interface” J. Dash, D. Trawny, J. P. Rabe, H.-U. Reissig,* Synlett, 2015, 26, 1486–1489.
52) "Environment-sensitive probes containing a 2,6-diethynylpyridine motif for fluorescence turn-on detection and induction of nanoarchitectures of human telomeric quadruplex" R. N. Das, M. Debnath, A. Gaurav, J. Dash,* Chemistry-A European Journal, 2014, 20,16688-16693.
51) "Asymmetric aldol reaction of thiazole carbaldehydes: Regio and stereoselective synthesis of tubuvalin analogues" S. Paladhi,J. Das, M. Samanta, J. Dash*, Advanced Synthesis & Catalysis, 2014, 356, 3370-3376.
50) “A small molecule peptidomimetic that binds to c-KIT1 G-quadruplex and exhibits antiproliferative properties in cancer cells” A. Chauhan, S. Paladhi, M. Debnath, S. Mandal, R. Nath Das, S. Bhowmick, J. Dash*, Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, 2014, 22, 4422–4429.
49) “Triazole tailored guanosine dinucleosides as biomimetic ion channels to modulate transmembrane potential” Y. P. Kumar, R. Nath Das, S. Kumar, O. M. Schütte, C. Steinem,* J. Dash* Chemistry-A European Journal, 2014, 20, 3023-3028.
(Highlighted in Chemistry views magazine; Highlighted in nature INDIA)
48) “Thiazolidinedione-isatin conjugates via an uncatalyzed diastereoselective aldol reaction on-water” S. Paladhi, M. Bhati, D. Panda, J. Dash*, Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2014, 79, 1473-1480.
47) “Ligand mediated facile iron catalyzed dimerization of terminal aryl alkynes” G. C. Midya,B. Parasar,K. Dhara, J. Dash,* Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry, 2014,12, 1812-1822.
46) “A magnetoclick imidazolidinone nanocatalyst for asymmetric 1,3-dipolar cycloaddition” S. Pagoti, D. Dutta, J. Dash,* Advanced Synthesis & Catalysis 2013, 355, 3532–3538.
Highlighed in Synfacts, 2014, 10, 0329.
45) A fluorescent guanosine dinucleoside as a selective switch-on sensor for c-myc G-quadruplex DNA with potent anticancer activities" Y. P. Kumar, S. Bhowmik, R. N. Das, I. Bessi, S. Paladhi, R. Ghosh, H. Schwalbe, J. Dash*, Chemistry-A European Journal, 2013, 19, 11502–11506. (appeared as inside cover page).
44) “Design and synthesis of an ON-OFF “click” fluorophore that executes a logic operation and detects heavy and transition metal ions in water and living Cell” G. C. Midya, S. Paladhi, S. Bhowmick, S. Saha, J. Dash*, Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry, 2013, 11, 3057-3063.
43) “pH Dependent multifunctional and multiply-configurable logic gate systems based on small molecule G-quadruplex DNA recognition” S. Bhowmik,R. N. Das,B. Parasar, J. Dash* Chemical Communications, 2013, 49, 1817-1819.
42) “Reduction of organic azides to amines using reusable Fe3O4 nanoparticles in aqueous medium” S. Pagoti, S. Surana, A. Chauhan, B. Parasar, J. Dash*, Catalysis Science & Technology, 2013, 3, 584-588.
41) “Multifunctional “click” prolinamides: A new platform for asymmetric Aldol reaction in the presence of water with catalyst recycling” S. Paladhi, J. Das, P. K. Mishra, J. Dash*, Advanced Synthesis & Catalysis, 2013, 355, 274-280.
40) "An Uncatalyzed Aldol Reaction of Thiazolidinediones" S. Paladhi, A. Chauhan, K. Dhara, A. K. Tiwari, J. Dash,* Green Chemistry, 2012, 14, 2990-2995.
39) "A diversity oriented approach to spirocyclic and fused hydantoins via olefin metathesis" K. Dhara, G. C. Midya, J. Dash*, Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2012, 77, 8071-8082.
38) "Diffusion and Birefrengence of Bioactive Dyes in a Guanosine Supramolecular Hydrogel" R. N. Das,Y. P. Kumar, S. Pagoti, A. J. Patil, J. Dash*, Chemistry-A European Journal, 2012,18, 6008-6014.
37) "Synthesis of Bis-indole Carboxamides as G-quadruplex Stabilizing and Inducing Ligands" J. Dash*, R. N. Das, N. Hegde, G. D. Pantos, P. S. Shirude, S. Balasubramanian,* Chemistry-A European Journal, 2012,18, 554-564.
36) "Catalysis-based enantioselective total synthesis of myxothiazole Z, (14S)- melithiazole G and (14S) cystothiazole" A. Colon, T. J. Hoffman, J. Gebauer, J. Dash, J. H. Rigby, S. Arseniyadis, J. Cossy, Chemical Communications, 2012, 48, 10508-10510.
35) "Iron catalyzed highly regioselective dimerization of terminal aryl alkynes" G. C. Midya, S. Paladhi, K. Dhara, J. Dash,* Chemical Communications, 2011, 47, 6698-6700.
34) "Synthesis of spirocyclic thiazolidinedione derivatives using ring-closing metathesis and one pot sequential ring-closing/cross metathesis” K. Dhara, S. Paladhi, G. C. Midya, J. Dash,* Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry, 2011, 9, 3801-3807.
33) "A supported palladium nanocatalyst for copper free acyl Sonogashira reactions: One-pot multicomponent synthesis of N-containing heterocycles" S. Santra, K. Dhara, P. Ranjan, P. Bera, J. Dash,* S. Mandal,* Green Chemistry, 2011, 14, 3238-3247.
32) "Modulation of small molecule induced architecture of cyclodextrin aggregation by guest structure and host size" P. Ghosh, A. Maity, T. Das, J. Dash*, P. Purkayastha,* J. Phys. Chem. C, 2011,115, 20970–20977.
31) "Interaction of a new surface sensitive probe compound with anionic surfactants of varying hydrophobic chain length" A. Maity, P. Ghosh, T. Das, J. Dash,* P. Purkayastha,* J. Colloids Interface Sci. 2011, 364, 395-399.
30) "Supramolecular hydrogels derived from silver ion-mediated self-assembly of 5'-guanosine monophosphate" J. Dash, A. J. Patil, R. N. Das, F. L. Dowdall, S. Mann,* Soft Matter, 2011, 7, 8120-8126.
29) "Synthesis and binding studies of novel diethynyl-pyridine amides with genomic promoter DNA G-quadruplexes" J. Dash,* Z. A. E. Waller, G. Dan Pantos, S. Balasubramanian,* Chemistry-A European Journal, 2011, 17, 4571-4581.
28) "G-quadruplex-binding benzo[a]phenoxazines down-regulate c-KIT expression in human gastric carcinoma cells" K. I. E. McLuckie, Z. A. E. Waller, D. A. Sanders, D. Alves, R. Rodriguez, J. Dash, G. J. McKenzie, A. R. Venkitaraman, S. Balasubramanian,* Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2011, 133, 2658-2663.
27) "A concise approach towards the synthesis of WS75624 A and WS75624 B via the cross-metathesis of vinyl-functionalized thiazoles" J. Dash, B. Melillo, S. Arseniyadis, J. Cossy,* Tetrahedron Letters, 2011, 52, 2246-2249.
26) "A three-component synthesis of β-alkoxy β-keto-enamides—flexible precursors for 4-hydroxypyridine derivatives and their palladium-catalysed reactions"; T. Lechel, J. Dash, C. Eidamshausa, I. Brüdgam, D. Lentza, H.-U.Reissig,* Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry, 2010, 8, 3007-3014.
25) "Three-component synthesis of perfluoroalkyl- or perfluoroaryl-substituted 4-hydroxypyridine derivatives and their palladium-catalyzed coupling reactions" T. Lechel, J. Dash, P. Hommes, D. Lentz, H.-U. Reissig,* Journal of Organic Chemistry 2010, 75, 726–732.
24) "A new and flexible synthesis of 4-hydroxypyridines: Rapid access to Caerulomycins A, E and functionalized terpyridines" J. Dash, H.-U. Reissig,* Chemistry-A European Journal 2009, 15, 6811-6814.
23) "Enantioselective organocatalytic conjugate reduction of β-azole α,β-unsaturated aldehydes" T. J. Hoffman, J. Dash, J. H. Rigby, S. Arseniyadis, J. Cossy,* Organic letters, 2009, 11, 2756-2759.
22) "Diarylethynyl amides that recognize the parallel conformation of genomic promoter DNA G-quadruplexes" J. Dash, P.S. Shirude, S.-T.D. Hsu, S. Balasubramanian,* Journal of the American Chemical Society 2008, 130, 15950–15956.
21) "G-Quadruplex recognition by bis-indole carboxamides" J. Dash, P.S. Shirude, S. Balasubramanian,* Chemical Communications, 2008, 3055–3057.
20) "Novel furopyridine derivatives via Sonogashira reactions of functionalized pyridines" T. Lechel, J. Dash, I. Brüdgam, H.-U. Reissig*, European Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2008, 21, 3647-3655.
19) "Crystal structure of 1,4-bis[3-methoxy-4-(4-methoxyphenyl)-6- (trifluoromethyl)pyridi 2yl]benzene, C34H26F6N2O4" J. Dash, I. Brüdgam, H. Hartl, H.-U. Reissig,* Z. Kristallogr. NCS 2008, 223, 347–348.
18) "Synthesis of vinyl-functionalized thiazoles by cross-metathesis and tandem Stille coupling/cross-metathesis" J. Dash, S. Arseniyadis, J. Cossy,* Advanced Synthesis & Catalysis, 2007, 349, 152–156.
17) "Scope of a novel three-component synthesis of highly functionalized pyridines" J. Dash, T. Lechel, H.-U. Reissig,* Organic Letters, 2007, 9, 5541-5544.
Highlighted in Synfacts; Three-Component Synthesis of Functionalized Pyridines, Synfacts 2008 (3), 0245-0245
16) "Concise synthesis of novel oxa-bridged compounds" F. A. Khan,* J. Dash, Ch. Sudheer, N. Sahu, P. Karuppasamy, Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2005, 70, 7565–7577.
15) "A new color of the synthetic chameleon methoxyallene: A novel synthesis of trifluoromethyl-substituted pyridinol derivatives–an unusual reaction mechanism, a remarkable crystal packing and first palladium-catalyzed coupling reactions" O. Flögel, J. Dash, I. Brüdgam, H. Hartl, H.-U. Reissig,* Chemistry-A European Journal, 2004, 10, 4283–4290.
14) "Hydrotalcite catalysis in ionic liquid medium: A recyclable reaction system for heterogeneous knoevenagel and nitroaldol condensation" F.A. Khan,* J. Dash, R. Satapathy, S. K. Upadhyay, Tetrahedron Letters, 2004, 45, 3055–3058.
13) "Indium-mediated regio- and diastereoselective reduction of norbornyl α-diketones" F. A. Khan, J. Dash, Ch. Sudheer, Chemistry-A European Journal 2004, 10, 2507–2519.
12) "Diastereoselection during allylindium addition to norbornyl α-diketones" F. A. Khan,* J. Dash, European Journal of Organic Chemistry 2004, 12, 2692–2700.
11) "A Rapid and stereoselective route to trans-hydrindane ring system" F. A. Khan,* R. Satapathy, J. Dash, G. Savitha, Journal of Organic Chemistry 2004, 69, 5295–5301.
10) "A short and stereoselective synthesis of functionalized pentenomycin derivatives" F.A. Khan,* J. Dash, B. Rout, Tetrahedron Letters, 2004, 45, 9285–9288.
9) "A novel and expeditious approach to unusual spiro lactam building blocks" F. A. Khan,* J. Dash, Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2003, 68, 4556–4559.
8) "Chemoselective reduction of aromatic nitro compounds in ionic liquids using Zinc and ammonium salts; F. A. Khan,* J. Dash, Ch. Sudheer, R. K. Gupta, Tetrahedron Letters, 2003, 44, 7783–7789.
7) An easy access to γ-lactone-fused cyclopentanoids; F. A. Khan,* J. Dash, N. Sahu, Ch. Sudheer, Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2002, 67, 3783–3787.
6) Regio- and diastereoselective reduction of non-enolizable α-diketones to acyloins mediated by indium metal; F. A. Khan,* J. Dash, N. Sahu, S. Gupta, Organic Letters, 2002, 4, 1015–1018.
5) Synthesis of a novel, highly symmetric bis-oxa-bridged compound; F.A. Khan,* J. Dash, Journal of the American Chemical Society 2002, 124, 2424–2425.
4) Synthesis of Novel Caged Bishemiacetals and their Facile Conversion to Symmetric Bis-α-halo-γ-lactones; F. A. Khan,* N. Sahu, J. Dash, and B. Prabhudas, Journal of the Indian Institute of Sciences 2001, 81, 325–331.
3) Rearrangement of 1,4,5,6-Tetrahalo-7,7-dimethoxybicyclo[2.2.1]hept-5-ene-2-one to Phenolic Derivatives; F. A. Khan,* J. Dash, D. Jain, and B. Prabhudas, J. Chem. Soc., Perkin Trans. 1, 2001, 3132–3134.
2) "1,2,3,4-Tetrachloro-5,5-dimethoxy-cyclopenta-1,3-diene: Diels-Alder reactions and applications of the products formed" F. A. Khan,* B. Prabhudas, J. Dash, Advanced Synthesis & Catalysis 342, 512–517.
1) A ruthenium catalyzed, novel and facile procedure for the conversion of vicinal dihaloalkenes to α-diketones; F. A. Khan,* B. Prabhudas, J. Dash, N. Sahu, Journal of the American Chemical Society 2000, 122, 9558–9559.
Motivated candidates having MSc degree in Chemistry/Biology with INSPIRE/CSIR fellowships can directly contact Dr. Jyotirmayee Dash (email@example.com) for PhD positions.
Current project students
1. Thumpati Prasanth (NIPER Kolkata)
2. Sarmistha Pal (NIPER Kolkata)
3. Rubi Roy (MS.PhD-IACS)-M.Sc Project
4. Deepak Yadav (MS.PhD-IACS)-M.S. Project
5. Arkaprovo Sarkar (MS.PhD-IACS)-M.S. Project
6. Sathis Bhukya (NIPER Kolkata)-MS Pharma Project
Former Project Students:
1. Abhiket Gaurav (IISER-K)-5th year MS Project
2. Sonu Kumar (IISER-K)-5th year MS Project
3. Pratyush Kumar Mishra (IISER-Pune)-Summer Project
4. Meeta Bhati (Central University of Rajasthan)-Summer Project
5. Bibudha Parasar (IISER-K)-Summer Project
6. Subham Surana (Delhi University)--IAS Summer Fellow
7. Sharmistha De (University of Calcutta)-Summer Project
8. Sukanta Koley (RMVC College)-Summer Project
9. Palash Banerjee (RKMRC)-DST-INSPIRE Summer Fellow
10. Madhvi Gupta (Ramjas College)-IAS Summer Fellow
11. Animesh Biswas (RKMV)-Summer Project, DST-Inspire
12. Sreemantula Arun Kumar (NIPER-K)-MS (Pharm) Project
13. Sourajit Bera (RKMV)-DST-INSPIRE Summer Fellow
14. Susobhan Swain (VSSUT, Burla)-IAS Summer Fellow
15. Antara Mukharjee (Presidency University)-MS (Biochemistry) Project
16. Debolina Sarkar (Jadavpur University)- Summer Project
17. Shrestha Banerjee (Presidency University)- Summer Project
18. Divine P Daniel (NIPER-K)-MS (Pharm) Project
19. Thumpati Prasanth (NIPER-K)-MS (Pharm) Project
20. Abhik Paul (NIPER-K)-MS (Pharm) Project
21. Javaji Anuradha (NIPER-K)-MS (Pharm) Project
22. Ravuri Subba rao (NIPER-K)-MS (Pharm) Project
23. Kaustav Saha (WBUT)-Summer Project
Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences (FASc), Bangalore, 2021
Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize, 2020
Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry, FRSC, 2020
Editorial Advisory Board Member, Chemical Communications, 2020
CRSI Bronze Medal, 2020
DBT/ Wellcome Trust Indian Alliance Senior Fellowship, 2020
Second Charusita Chakravarty Memorial Lecture, February 2019, CRSI India
SwarnaJayanti Fellowship for the year 2015-2016
Sectional Editor: Journal of the Indian Chemical Society
Editorial Advisory Board Member of
ACS Bioconjugate Chemistry, 2022
ACS Omega, 2021
Asian JOC, 2021 (International Advisory Board)
Former Short-term Visitors and Research Associates:
1. Dr. Joydeb Das, Research Associate (Feb 2012-Jan 2016), Currently working as an Assistant Professor in Bagati Sree Gopal Banerjee College, Hoogly, West Bengal
2. Dr. Sudipta Bhowmick, Research Associate (Feb 2012-June 2013), Currently working as a DST-INSPIRE Faculty at University of Calcutta
3. Dr. Samir Mandal, Research Associate (July2013-Feb 2015), Currently working as an Assistant Professor at Govt. General Degree College for Girls, Alipore, Kol-27
4. Dr. Ajoy Kapat, Research Associate (May 2014-Oct 2014), Currently working as an Assistant Professor in Shib Nadar University, Dadri, Uttar Pradesh
5. Dr. Anup Ghosh, Senior Research Associate (September 2015-June 2016), Currently working as an DST-Inspire Faculty in S. N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata
6. Dr. Laxminarayana Burgula, Research Associate , Ph.D. IIT Guwahati (2015)