The research work of the group primarily involve the study of contemporary problems in the electronic structure of materials using numerical and analytic techniques. Some of these work are carried out in close collaboration with experimentalists. Research work is devoted to the study of both weakly and strongly correlated materials where the dominant electronic energy is the kinetic energy and the Coulomb repulsion respectively. The study of weakly correlated systems is based on density functional theory (DFT) implemented in variety of basis sets. For strongly correlated systems, the main objective is to develop methods where chemical realism may be introduced in their description by deriving realistic Hubbard and Heisenberg Hamiltonians and solving them using numerical methods (Exact Diagonalization, QMC, DMFT ). In addition, research work is also carried out to develop efficient real space methods based on the recursion technique to study disordered systems, a recent interest has been on the study of superconductivity in disordered alloys.
Theoretical and Computational Condensed Matter Physics:
Electronic structure calculations of novel magnetic systems, strongly correlated systems, low-dimensional quantum spin systems, magnetic properties of materials at nano scale and disordered systems.
Ph.D (1996), Calcutta University (Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics, based on a work done at S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata, India) Thesis Supervisor: Prof Abhijit Mookerjee
M.Sc (Physics) (1990), IIT Kanpur
B.Sc (Physics Honours) (1987*), Presidency College, Calcutta University (*Results declared in 1988)
Max Planck Institute for Solid State Research, Stuttgart, Germany (1995-1999)
Mentor: Prof. O. K. Andersen
(1) Senior Professor, School of Physical Sciences (Formerly Department of Solid State Physics, IACS, Kolkata) ,(Dec 2013-present)
(2) Professor, Department of Physics, IIT Bombay, (2009, promoted while on lien from IIT Bombay).
(3) Professor, Department of Solid State Physics, IACS, Kolkata, (Dec 2008-Dec 2013)
(4) Associate Professor, Department of Solid State Physics, IACS, Kolkata, (on lien from IIT Bombay), (June, 2007 - Nov 2008)
(5) Associate Professor, Department of Physics, IIT Bombay, (Mar-2005-June 2010).
(6) Assistant Professor, Department of Physics and Meteorology, IIT Kharagpur, (on lien from IIT Bombay), (July-Dec, 2003)
(7) Assistant Professor, Department of Physics, IIT Bombay, (Feb-2001-Feb-2005).
(8) Lecturer, Department of Physics, IIT Bombay, (June 1999-Jan-2001).
Adjunct and Short Term Visiting Positions:
1. Visiting Scientist , Kavli Institute of Theoretical Physics, Santa Barbara, USA (Sept-Oct, 2019)
2. Visitor Institute of Theoretical Physics, Bergakademie Freiberg, Germany (Summer 2015 & 2018)
3. Visitor, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden (Summer 2010, 2011, 2012)
4. Visitor, University Paris Sud, Orsay, France, (June-July, 2008)
5. Associate Member, Center for Advanced Materials, IACS, Kolkata, ( 2008 - 2013)
6. Guest Scientist, Max Planck Institute for Solid State Research,Stuttgart, Germany, (May - June, 2006).
7. Associate Member, Centre for Computational Materials Science, JNCASR, Bangalore, (2006- 2011)
8. Visiting Scientist, University of Missouri Columbia, USA, Aug-2005
9. Guest Scientist, Max Planck Institute for Solid State Research, Stuttgart, Germany, (May - July, 2001).
10. Visitor, International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP), Trieste, Italy (Summer 1993, 1994, 1995 and 1996)
(1) Dean Faculty Affairs (April 2022–present)
(2) Dean Research & Development (2021–present)
(3) Dean Academic Administration /Dean Academic (PhD) (2018-2020)
(4) Head Department of Solid State Physics (2015-2018)
(5) Associate Dean (Academic & Student Affairs) ( 2015-2018)
(6) Chairman Building Advisory Committee (2015-2020)
Complete List of Research Publications
See Google Scholar link for full list of Publications https://scholar.google.co.in/citations?user=Xnoo_i8AAAAJ&hl=en
119. Exchange interactions and spin dynamics in the layered honeycomb ferromagnet CrI3Subhadeep Bandyopadhyay, Finn Lasse Buessen, Ritwik Das, Franz G Utermohlen, Nandini Trivedi, Arun Paramekanti and Indra Dasgupta.
Phys. Rev. B 105, 184430 (2022).
118. Interplay between structural, magnetic, and electronic states in the pyrochlore iridate Eu2Ir2O7. Manjil Das,Sayantika Bhowal,Jhuma Sannigrahi,Abhisek Bandyopadhyay,Anupam Banerjee, Giannantonio Cibin, Dmitry Khalyavin, Niladri Banerjee, evashibhai Adroja, Indra Dasgupta, and Subham Majumdar.
Phys Rev B 105 (13), 134421(2022).
117. Breakdown of atomic spin-orbit coupling picture in an apparently isolated pseudo-one-dimensional iridate: Sr3NaIrO6
Abhisek Bandyopadhyay, A. Chakraborty, S. Bhowal, Vinod Kumar, M. M. Sala, A. Efimenko, F. Bert, P. K. Biswas, C. Meneghini, N. Büttgen, I. Dasgupta, T. Saha Dasgupta, A. V. Mahajan, and Sugata Ray
Phys. Rev. B 105, 104431 (2022).
116. Bulk Rashba Spin Splitting and Dirac Surface State in p-Type (Bi0.9Sb0.1)2Se3 Single Crystal
Pradeepta Kumar Ghose,Subhadeep Bandyopadhyay,Tamal Kumar Dalui,Jochi Tseng,Jayjit Kumar Dey,Ruchi Tomar,Suvankar Chakraverty,Subham Majumdar,Indra Dasgupta, and Saurav Giri
Physica Research Solidi (Rapid Research Letters) 16, 2100494 (2022)
115. Spin-orbit effects in pentavalent Iridates: Models and materials
Sayantika Bhowal and Indra Dasgupta
Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter 33, 453001 (2021) (Invited Review)
114. Unusual spin dynamics in the low-temperature magnetically ordered state of Ag3LiIr2O6
Atasi Chakraborty, Vinod Kumar, Sanjay Bachhar, N. Büttgen, K. Yokoyama, P.K. Biswas, V. Siruguri, Sumiran Pujari, I. Dasgupta, A.V. Mahajan
Phys. Rev. B 104, 115106 (2021)
113. Orbital-dependent spin textures in ferroelectric Rashba systems
Subhadeep Bandyopadhyay and I. Dasgupta
Phys. Rev. B 103, 014105 (2021)
112.Orbital effects and Affleck-Haldane-type spin dimerization in Ba4Ru3O10
J. Sannigrahi, A. Paul, A. Banerjee, D. Khalyavin, A. D. Hillier, K. Yokoyama, A. K. Bera, M. R. Lees, I. Dasgupta, S. Majumdar, and D. T. Adroja
Phys. Rev. B 103, 144431 (2021)
111. Electronic structure and transport properties of coupled CdS/ZnSe quantum dots
Simon Liebing, Torsten Hahn, Jens Kortus, Bidisa Das, Arup Chakraborty and Indra Dasgupta
Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, 33, 125002 (2021)
110. Gapless Quantum Spin Liquid in the Triangular System Sr3CuSb2O9
S. Kundu, Aga Shahee, Atasi Chakraborty, K. M. Ranjith, B. Koo, Jörg Sichelschmidt, Mark T. F. Telling, P. K. Biswas, M. Baenitz, I. Dasgupta, Sumiran Pujari, and A. V. Mahajan
Phys. Rev. Lett. 125, 267202 ( 2020)
109. Superconductivity in infinite-layer nickelates: Role of f orbitals
Subhadeep Bandyopadhyay, Priyo Adhikary, Tanmoy Das, Indra Dasgupta, and Tanusri Saha-Dasgupta
Phys. Rev. B 102, 220502(Rapid Communication) ( 2020)
108. Origin of Rashba-Dresselhaus effect in the ferroelectric nitride perovskite LaWN3
Subhadeep Bandyopadhyay, Atanu Paul, and I. Dasgupta
Phys. Rev. B 101, 014109 (2020)
107. Orbital-selective superconductivity in a two-band model of infinite-layer nickelates
Priyo Adhikary, Subhadeep Bandyopadhyay, Tanmoy Das, Indra Dasgupta, and Tanusri Saha-Dasgupta
Phys. Rev. B 102, 100501(Rapid Communication) 2020
106. Comment on “Apical Charge Flux-Modulated In-Plane Transport Properties of Cuprate Superconductors”
E. Pavarini, I. Dasgupta, T. Saha-Dasgupta, and O. K. Andersen
Phys. Rev. Lett. 124, 109701 (2020)
105. Theoretical analysis of pressure induced spin crossover phenomenon in a di-nuclear Fe (II) molecular complex
A Chakraborty, A Chakraborty, S Ghosh, I Dasgupta
Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, 32, 16582 (2020)
104. Understanding the curious magnetic state of Sr3OsO6
Shreya Das, Anita Halder, Atasi Chakraborty, Indra Dasgupta, and Tanusri Saha-Dasgupta
Phys. Rev. B 101, 184422 (2020)
103. Interplay of covalency, non-cubic crystal field, and spin-orbit coupling: A comparative study of d5,d4, and d3 double perovskite iridates Sr2MIrO6 (M = Ce, Sc, Ca)
Sayantika Bhowal and Indra Dasgupta
Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials 507, 166827 (2020)
102. Interplay between breathing and polar instabilities in transition metal perovskites with active A sites
Atanu Paul, Anamitra Mukherjee, Indra Dasgupta, and Tanusri Saha-Dasgupta
Phys. Rev. Research 2, 013333 (2020)
101. Study of electronic structure and magnetism in d4 double perovskite iridates A2ScIrO6 (A= Ba, Sr)
A Chakraborty, I Dasgupta
Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials 492, 165708 (2019)
100. Hopping-Induced Ground-State Magnetism in 6 H Perovskite Iridates
A Nag, S Bhowal, MM Sala, A Efimenko, I Dasgupta and S Ray
Physical Review Letters, 123, 017201 (2019)
99. First principles study of electronic structure, magnetism and ferroelectric properties of rhombohedral AgFeO2
Jayita Chakraborty, Indra Dasgupta
Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 487 165296 (2019)
98. Structural, thermodynamic, and local probe investigations of the honeycomb material Ag 3LiMn2O6
R Kumar, Tusharkanti Dey, PM Ette, K Ramesha, Atasi Chakraborty, I Dasgupta, R Eremina, Sándor Tóth, A Shahee, S Kundu, M Prinz-Zwick, AA Gippius, HA Krug von Nidda, N Büttgen, Philipp Gegenwart, AV Mahajan
Phys. Rev. B 99, 144429 (2019)
97. Spin–orbit coupling driven novel magnetism in d 5 6H-perovskite iridates Ba3IrTi2O9 and Ba3TiIr2O9
Sayantika Bhowal, Shreemoyee Ganguly, Indra Dasgupta
Journal Phys. (Condensed Matter) 31, 185102 (2019)
96. Unconventional magnetism in the 4 d 4-based S= 1 honeycomb system Ag 3LiRu2O6
R Kumar, Tusharkanti Dey, PM Ette, K Ramesha, Atasi Chakraborty, I Dasgupta, JC Orain, C Baines, Sándor Tóth, A Shahee, S Kundu, M Prinz-Zwick, AA Gippius, Norbert Büttgen, Philipp Gegenwart and AV Mahajan
Phys. Rev. B 99, 054417 (2019)
95. Hybridization-Switching Induced Mott Transition in ABO3 Perovskites
Atanu Paul, Anamitra Mukherjee, Indra Dasgupta, Arun Paramekanti, Tanusri Saha-Dasgupta
Phys. Rev. Lett. 122, 016404 (2019)
94. Study of magnetic and multiferroic properties of α-copper pyrovanadate
S Bhowal, S Majumdar, I Dasgupta
AIP Conference Proceedings 2005 (1), 020008 (2018)
93. Origin of magnetic moments and presence of spin-orbit singlets in Ba2YIrO6
Abhishek Nag, Sayantika Bhowal, Atasi Chakraborty, MM Sala, A Efimenko, F Bert, PK Biswas, AD Hillier, M Itoh, SD Kaushik, V Siruguri, C Meneghini, I Dasgupta, Sugata Ray
Phys. Rev. B 98, 014431 (2018)
92. Effect of Ni doping on the magnetic and electronic properties of half heusler
A Bandyopadhyay, SK Neogi, A Paul, C Meneghini, I Dasgupta, Sugata Ray
Journal of Alloys and Compounds 764, Pages 656-664 (2018)
91. Development of half metallicity within mixed magnetic phase of Cu1− x Co x MnSb alloy
Abhisek Bandyopadhyay, Swarup Kumar Neogi, Atanu Paul, Carlo Meneghini, Sudipta Bandyopadhyay, Indra Dasgupta, Sugata Ray
Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter 30, 205802 (2018)
90. Ba3MIr2O9 hexagonal perovskites in the light of spin-orbit coupling and local structural distortions
Abhishek Nag, Sayantika Bhowal, F Bert, AD Hillier, M Itoh, Ilaria Carlomagno, C Meneghini, Tapati Sarkar, Roland Mathieu, I Dasgupta, Sugata Ray
Physical Review B 97, 064408 (2018)
89. Covalency and spin-orbit coupling driven magnetism in the double-perovskite iridates Sr2MIrO6 (M=Ca, Mg)
Sayantika Bhowal and I. Dasgupta
Phys. Rev. B 97, 024406 (2018)
88. A comparative study of electronic, structural, and magnetic properties of α-,β-, and γ−Cu2V2O7
S. Bhowal, J. Sannigrahi, S. Majumdar, and I. Dasgupta
Phys. Rev. B 95, 075110 (2017)
87. Cationic order versus La-O covalency in (Ca,Ba) double perovskites
Abhisek Bandyopadhyay, Swarup Kumar Neogi, Atanu Paul, Carlo Meneghini, Indra Dasgupta, Sudipta Bandyopadhyay, Sugata Ray
Physical Review B 95, 024432 (2017)
86. A comparative study of magnetic and optical properties of Mn-, Gd-, and Nd-doped ZnO nanowires
Arup Chakraborty, Chol-Sam Jong, Nirmal Ganguli, I Dasgupta
International Journal of Modern Physics B 31, 1650241 (2017)
85. Spin wave excitations in the pyrovanadate alpha-Cu2V2O7
A. Banerjee, J. Sannigrahi, S. Bhowal, I. Dasgupta, S. Majumdar, H. C. Walker, A. Bhattacharyya, and D. T. Adroja
Phys. Rev. B 94, 144426 (2016)
84. Electronic structure and exchange interactions of insulating double perovskite La2CuRuO6
S. K. Panda, Y. O. Kvashnin, B. Sanyal, I. Dasgupta, and O. Eriksson
Phys. Rev. B 94, 064427 (2016)
83. First principles study of the electronic structure and magnetic properties of spin chain compounds Ca3ZnMnO6 and Ca3ZnCoO6
J. Chakraborty, S. Samanta, BRK Nanda and I Dasgupta
J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 28 375501 (2016)
82. Chemical Tailoring of Band Offsets at the Interface of ZnSe-CdS Heterostructures for Delocalized Photo-Excited Charge Carriers
A Dalui, A Chakraborty, U Thupakula, A H Khan, S Sengupta, B Satpati, D D Sarma, I. Dasgupta and S. Acharya
J. Physical Chemistry C , 120 10118 (2016)
81. Origin of the Spin-Orbital Liquid State in a Nearly J=0 Iridate Ba3ZnIr2O9
Abhishek Nag, S. Middey, Sayantika Bhowal, S.K. Panda, Roland Mathieu, J.C. Orain, F. Bert, P. Mendels, P.G. Freeman, M. Mansson, H.M. Ronnow, M. Telling, P.K. Biswas, D. Sheptyakov,S.D. Kaushik, Vasudeva Siruguri, Carlo Meneghini, D.D. Sarma, Indra Dasgupta, and Sugata Ray
Phys. Rev. Lett. 116, 097205 (2016)
80 . Electronic structure and spin-orbit driven novel magnetism in d4.5 insulator Ba3YIr2O 9
S. K. Panda, S. Bhowal, Ying Li, S. Ganguly, R Valenti, L. Nordstrom and I. Dasgupta
Phys. Rev. B 92, 180403(Rapid Comm.), (2015)
79. Strain induced band alignment in wurtzite-zincblende InAs heterostructured nanowires.
Jaya Kumar Panda, Anushree Roy, Arup Chakraborty,Indra Dasgupta, Elena Hasanu, Daniele Ercolani, Mauro Gemmi, and Lucia Sorba
Phys. Rev. B 92, 205302 (2015)
78. Exchange striction induced giant ferroelectric polarization in copper based multiferroic material α-Cu2V2O7
J. Sannigrahi, S Bhowal, S. Giri, S. Majumdar and I. Dasgupta
Phys. Rev. B 91, 220407(Rapid Comm) (2015)
77. Breakdown of J=0 nonmagnetic state in d4 iridate double perovskites: A first-principles study
Sayantika Bhowal, Santu Baidya, Indra Dasgupta, and Tanusri Saha-Dasgupta
Phys. Rev. B 92, 121113(Rapid Comm) (2015)
76. Electronic structure and magnetism of K-intercalated iron chalcogenides
S. K. Panda, I. Dasgupta, and T. Saha-Dasgupta
Phys. Rev. B 92, 104421 (2015)
75. Observation of S = 1/2 quasi-1D magnetic and magneto-dielectric behavior in a cubic SrCuTe2O6
B Koteswararao, S K Panda, R Kumar5, Kyongjun Yoo, A V Mahajan, I Dasgupta, B H Chen, Kee Hoon Kim, and F C Chou
J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 27 426001 (2015)
74. First-principles study of the electronic structure of CdS/ZnSe coupled quantum dots
N Ganguli, S Acharya, I Dasgupta
Physical Review B 89 , 245423 (2014)
73. Effect of Spin Orbit Coupling and Hubbard U in IrO2
S. K. Panda, A. Delin, O. Eriksson, and I. Dasgupta
Physical Review B 89, 155102 (2014)
72. A charge self-consistent LDA+DMFT study of the spectral properties of hexagonal NiS
SK Panda, P Thunström, I Di Marco, J Schött, Anna Delin, I Dasgupta, O Eriksson, DD Sarma
New Journal of Physics 16, 093049 (2014)
71. Magnetic properties and heat capacity of the three-dimensional frustrated S=12 antiferromagnet PbCuTe2O6
B. Koteswararao, R. Kumar, P. Khuntia, Sayantika Bhowal, S. K. Panda, M. R. Rahman, A. V. Mahajan, I. Dasgupta, M. Baenitz, Kee Hoon Kim, and F. C. Chou
Physical Review B 90, 035141 (2014)
70. NiS -An unusual self-doped, nearly compensated antiferromagnetic metal.
S.K. Panda, I. Dasgupta, E. Sasioglu, S. Bluegel, and D.D. Sarma
Scientific Report (Nature Publishing Group) 3, 2995 (2013)
69. Role of Te in the low-dimensional multiferroic material FeTe2O5Br.
J. Chakraborty, N. Ganguli, T. Saha-Dasgupta, and I. Dasgupta
Physical Review B 88, 094409, (2013)
68. PbCu3TeO7: S=1/2 staircase kagome lattice with significant intra-plane and inter-plane couplings.
B Koteswararao,, R Kumar, Jayita Chakraborty, Byung-Gu Jeon, A V Mahajan, I Dasgupta, Kee Hoon Kim, and F C Chou
J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 25 336003 (2013)
67. Electronic Structure and Magnetism in Ir based double perovskite Sr2CeIrO6
Swarup Kr. Panda and Indra Dasgupta
Mod. Phys. Lett 27, 1350041, (2013)
66. Magneto-structural transitions: Molecular dynamics simulation of a united atom mesoscopic model.
J. Bhattacharya, V. Singh, S. Sengupta, and I. Dasgupta
Mod. Phys. Lett 27, 1450047, (2013)
65. First-principles study of the spin-gap system Sr2Cu(BO3)2
Jayita Chakraborty and Indra Dasgupta
Physical Review B 86 , 054434 (2012)
64. Magnetic properties of Mn-doped Ge46 and Ba8Ge46 clathrates
Nirmal Ganguli, K.V. Shanavas, and Indra Dasgupta
Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter 24, 505501 (2012)
63. How Crucial Are Finite Temperature and Solvent Effects on Structure and Absorption Spectra of Si10?
NA Murugan, I Dasgupta, A Chakraborty, N Ganguli, J Kongsted, H Agren
The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 116 26618, (2012)
62. X-Ray Absorption Spectroscopy and X-Ray Magnetic Circular Dichroism Studies of Transition Metal-Codoped ZnO Nano-Particles.
T. Kataoka, Y. Yamazaki, V. R. Singh, Y. Sakamoto, K. Ishigami, V. K. Verma, A. Fujimori, F.-H. Chang, H.-J. Lin, D. J. Huang, C. T. Chen, D. Asakura,T. Koide, A. Tanaka, D. Karmakar, S.K. Mandal, T.K. Nath, and I. Dasgupta
e-J. Surf. Sci. Nanotech. 10 , 594 (2012)
61. LaSrVMoO6: A case study for A-site covalency-driven local cationic order in double perovskites
Somnath Jana, Vijay Singh, Abhishek Nag, Carlo Meneghini, Indra Dasgupta, Giuliana
Aquilanti, and Sugata Ray
Physical Review B 86, 014203, (2012)
60. Magnetic behavior of Ba3Cu3Sc4O12.
B. Koteswararao, A V Mahajan, F. Bert, P Mendels, J. Chakraborty, V. R. Singh, I. Dasgupta, S. Rayaprol, V. Siruguri, A Hoser, and S.D. Kaushik
Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter 24, 236001, (2012)
59. First-Principles Study of the Effect of Organic Ligands on the Crystal Structure of CdS Nanoparticles
K V Shanavas, S M Sharma, I. Dasgupta, A. Nag, A. Hazarika, and D.D. Sarma
Journal of Physical Chemistry C 116, 6507, (2012)
58. A theoretical and experimental study of magnetism in Gd2In
V. Singh, A. Bhattacharyya, S. Majumdar, and I. Dasgupta
J. Appl. Phys. 111, 053709 , (2012)
57. Electronic and magnetic structures of bilayer La3Ni2O6 and trilayer La4Ni3O8 nickelates from first principles.
Soumyajit Sarkar, I. Dasgupta, Martha Greenblatt, and T. Saha-Dasgupta
Phys. Rev. B 84 (Rapid Comm.), 180411 (2011)
56. Tuning of Long range Visible Emissions Using Coupled Quantum Dots
Sucheta Sengupta, Nirmal Ganguli, I. Dasgupta, D. D. Sarma, and Somobrata Acharya
AIP Proceedings, 1349, 277 (2011)
55. Superconductivity in multiband disordered systems: A vector recursion approach.
Shreemoyee Ganguly, Indra Dasgupta and Abhijit Mookerjee
Phys. Rev. B 84, 174508 (2011)
54. Long Range Visible Fluorescence Tunability Using Component Modulated Coupled Quantum Dots.
Sucheta Sengupta, Nirmal Ganguli, I. Dasgupta, D.D. Sarma, and Somobrata Acharya
Advanced Materials, 23 1998, (2011)
53. Crystal structure engineering by fine tuning the surface energy : The case of CdE (E=S/Se)
A. Nag, A. Hazarika, K,V. Shanavas, S.M. Sharma, I. Dasgupta and D.D. Sarma
Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, 2 706, (2011)
52. Electronic structure and magnetism of transition metal doped Zn12O12 clusters: Role of defects
N. Ganguli, I. Dasgupta, and B. Sanyal
Journal of Applied Physics 108 , 123911, ( 2010 )
51. Atomic-scale chemical fluctuation in LaSrVMoO6, a proposed half-metallic antiferromagnet
S. Jana, V. Singh, S.D. Kaushik, C. Meneghini, P. Pal, R. Knut, O. Karis, I. Dasgupta V. Siruguri, and S. Ray
Phys. Rev. B 82 (Rapid Comm.) , 180407 (2010)
50. Origin of ferroelectric polarization in spiral magnetic structure of MnWO4
K.V. Shanavas, D. Choudhury, I. Dasgupta, S.M. Sharma, and D.D. Sarma
Phys. Rev. B 81, 212406 ( 2010)
49. A real space approach to study the effect of off-diagonal disorder on superconductivity
S. Ganguly, I. Dasgupta, and A. Mookerjee
Physica C- Superconductivity and Applications 470, 640 , (2010)
48. Surface- and bulk-sensitive x-ray absorption study of the valence states of Mn and Co ions in Zn1−2xMnxCoxO nanoparticles.
T. Kataoka, Y. Yamazaki, Y. Sakamoto, A. Fujimori, F. H. Chang, H.J. Lin, D.J. Huang, C.T. Chen, A. Tanaka, S.K. Mandal, T.K. Nath, D. Karmakar, and I. Dasgupta
Appl. Phys. Lett 96, 252502 (2010)
47. Electronic structure and magnetic properties of (Fe,Co)-codoped ZnO: Theory and experiment
D. Karmakar, T.V.C. Rao, J.V. Yakhmi, A. Yaresko, V.N. Antonov, R.M. Kadam, S.K. Mandal, R. Adhikari, A.K. Das, T.K. Nath, N. Ganguli, I. Dasgupta, and G.P. Das
Phys. Rev. B 81 , 184421, (2010)
46. Electronic structure and magnetism of the diluted magnetic semiconductor Fe-doped ZnO nanoparticles.
T. Kataoka T, M. Kobayashi, Y. Sakamoto, G.S. Song, A. Fujimori, F.H. Chang, H.J. Lin, D.J. Huang, C.T. Chen, T. Ohkochi, Y. Takeda, T. Okane, Y. Saitoh, H. Yamagami, A. Tanaka, S.K. Mandal, T.K. Nath, D. Karmakar, and I. Dasgupta
Journal of Applied Physics 107 , 033718 ( 2010 )
45. Magnetic properties of Ni2+xMn1−xIn Heusler alloys: Theory and experiment.
S. Chatterjee,V.R. Singh, A.K. Deb, S. Giri, S.K. De, I. Dasgupta, and S. Majumdar
Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 322, 102 ( 2010)
44. Electronic structure of FeCr2S4: Evidence of Coulomb enhanced spin-orbit splitting
S. Sarkar, M. De Raychaudhury, I. Dasgupta, and T. Saha-Dasgupta
Phys. Rev. B 80, (Rapid Comm.), 201101, (2009)
43. Augmented space recursion study of the effect of disorder on superconductivity
S. Ganguli, A. Venkatasubramanian, K. Tarafdar, I. Dasgupta, and A. Mookerjee
Phys. Rev B 79 , 224204 (2009)
42. The making of magnetic ZnO nano-clusters.
Nirmal Ganguli, I. Dasgupta, and B. Sanyal
App. Phys Lett 94, 192503 (2009)
41. Quantum transmittance through random media.
A. Mookerjee, T. Saha-Dasgupta and I. Dasgupta
Quantum and semi-classical percolation and breakdown in disordered solids ed. A.K. Sen, K.K. Bardhan and B.K. Chakrabarti
(Lecture Notes in Physics, Springer-Verlag Heidelberg), 83, (2009)
40. Reply to ”Comment on ’Electronic structure of spin-(1)/(2) Heisenberg antiferromagnetic systems: Ba2Cu(PO4)(2) and Sr2Cu(PO4)(2)’ ”
S. Salunke, M.A.H. Ahsan, R. Nath, A.V. Mahajan, and I. Dasgupta
Phys. Rev B 79, 127102, ( 2009 )
39. X-ray Magnetic Circular Dichroism investigations of the origin of room temperature ferromagnetism in Fe doped ZnO nano-particles.
T. Kataoka, M. Kobayashi, G. S, Song, Y. Sakamoto, A. Fujimori, F.H. Chang, Hong-Ji Lin, Di Jing Huang, C T Chen, S.K. Mandal T.K. Nath, D. Karmakar, and I. Dasgupta
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 48, 04C200 (2009)
38. Electronic structure of Na2CuP2O7: A nearly 2D Heisenberg antiferromagnetic system.
S. Salunke, V.R. Singh, A.V. Mahajan, and I. Dasgupta
J. Phys: Condens. Matter 21, 025603 (2009)
37. Magnetic properties and electronic structure of S=1/2 spin gap compound BaCu2V2O8.
S. Salunke, A.V. Mahajan, and I. Dasgupta
Phys. Rev. B 77, 012410 (2008)
36. Spintronics- A Revolution in Materials Science and Device Physics
Gour P. Das and Indra Dasgupta
Physics News 38, 46 (2008)
35. Spin gap behaviour in a 2-leg spin-ladder BiCu2PO6
B. Koteswararao, S. Salunke, A.V. Mahajan, I. Dasgupta and J. Bobroff
Phys. Rev. B 76, 052402 (2007)
34. Electronic structure of spin 1/2 Heisenberg antiferromagnetic systems: Ba2Cu(PO4)2 and Ba2Cu(PO4)2
Sarita S. Salunke, M.A.H. Ahsan, R. Nath, A.V. Mahajan and I. Dasgupta
Phys. Rev. B 76, 085104 (2007)
33. High temperature ferromagnetism in Fe-doped ZnO : a Density Functional Investigation
D. Karmakar, I. Dasgupta, G.P. Das and Y. Kawazoe
Materials Trasactions, 48, 2119 (2007).
32. Ferromagnetism in Fe-doped ZnO nanocrystals: experimental and theoretical investigations.
D. Karmakar, S.K. Mandal, R.M. Kadam. P.L. Paulose, A.K. Rajarajan, T.K. Nath, A.K. Das, I. Dasgupta and G.P. Das
Phys. Rev. B 75, 144404 (2007)
31. Ferromagnetism in Mn doped half-Heusler NiTiSn: theory and experiment
B. Sanyal, O. Eriksson, K.G. Suresh, I. Dasgupta , A.K. Nigam, and P Nordblad
Appl. Phys. Lett. 89, 212502 (2006)
30. Electronic structure of half-metallic magnets.
B.R.K. Nanda and I. Dasgupta
J. Compt. Mat. Sci. 36, 96 (2006) Invited Paper
29. Electronic structure and magnetism in doped semiconducting half-Heusler compounds.
B.R.K. Nanda and I. Dasgupta
J. Phys: Condens. Matter, 17, 5037 ( 2005)
28. Symmetry reduction in the augmented space recursion formalism for random binary alloys.
K.K. Saha, T. Saha-Dasgupta, A. Mookerjee, and I. Dasgupta
J. Phys: Condens. Matter ,16 , 1409, (2004)
27. A first principles thermodynamic approach to ordering in disordered alloys.
A. Mookerjee, T. Saha-Dasgupta, I. Dasgupta, G.P. Das, A. Arya, and S. Ban erjee
Bull. of Mater. Sci. 26, 79, (2003)
26. Electronic structure and magnetism in half-Heusler compounds.
B.R.K. Nanda, and I. Dasgupta
J. Phys: Condens. Matter , 15 , 7307, (2003)
25. Nature of insulating state in NaV2O5 above charge-ordering transition: a cluster DMFT study.
V.V. Mazurenko, A.I. Lichtenstein, M.I. Katsnelson, I. Dasgupta, T. Saha-Dasgupta, V.I. Anisimov.
Phys. Rev. B 66, Rapid Commun. 081104(R) (2002)
24. Electronic structure of Chevrel phase compounds, SnxMo6Se7.5: Photoemission spectroscopy and Band structure calculations.
K. Kobayashi, A. Fujimori, T. Ohtani, I. Dasgupta, O. Jepsen and O.K. Andersen
Phys Rev. B 63, 195109, (2001).
23. Band-structure trend in cuprates and correlation with Tc,max.
E. Pavarini, I. Dasgupta, T. Saha-Dasgupta, O. Jepsen and O.K. Andersen
Phys Rev. Lett. 87, 047003, (2001)
22. A first principles thermodynamic approach to ordering in Ni-Mo alloys.
A. Arya, S. Banerjee, G.P. Das, I. Dasgupta , T. Saha-Dasgupta and A. Mookerjee
Acta mater, 49 , 3575, (2001)
21. Electronic structure and exchange interactions of the ladder vanadates CaV2O5 and MgV2O5.
M.A. Korotin, V.I. Anisimov, T. Saha-Dasgupta, and I. Dasgupta.
J. Phys Condens Matter 12, 113 (2000)
20. Electronic structure of High Tc cuprates.
I. Dasgupta and O.K. Andersen
Proceedings of the DAE Solid State Physics Symposium, 42, 26, (1999) Invited Paper.
19. Buckling and d-wave pairing in High T>c cuprates.
O. Jepsen, O.K. Andersen, Indra Dasgupta, and S.Y. Savrasov
J. Phys. Chem. of Solids 59, 1718 (1998)
18. Electronic structure of Ladder Cuprates.
T. M¨uler, V. Anisimov, T.M. Rice, I. Dasgupta, and T. Saha-Dasgupta.
Phys Rev. B 57, R12655 (1998)
17. Third-Generation TB-LMTO
O.K. Andersen, C Arcangeli, R.W. Tank, T. Saha Dasgupta, G. Krier, O. Jepsen and I. Dasgupta
Tight-Binding Approach to Computational Materials Science, P.E.A. Turchi, A. Gonis, and L. Colombo, eds., MRS Proceedings 491, Materials Research Society, Warrendale, PA, (1998).
16. Study of Transition metal aluminide alloys.
Indra Dasgupta, Tanusri Saha-Dasgupta, Abhijit Mookerjee, and G P Das
J. Phys Condens Matter 9, 3529 (1997)
15. Augmented space recursion method for the calculation of electronic structure of random alloys.
Indra Dasgupta, Tanusri Saha-Dasgupta and Abhijit Mookerjee
Properties of Complex Inorganic Solids, Plenum, ed. A Gonis, A. Meike and P.E.A Turchi, 63 (1997)
14. Augmented space recursive approach for alloy phase stability.
Tanusri Saha-Dasgupta , Indra Dasgupta and Abhijit Mookerjee
Properties of Complex Inorganic Solids, Plenum ed. A Gonis, A. Meike and P.E.A Turchi, 25 (1997)
13. Electronic structure of random binary alloys.
Tanusri Saha , Indra Dasgupta and Abhijit Mookerjee
J. Phys Condens Matter 8, 1979 (1996 )
12. An Augmented Space Recursive Method For The First Principles Study of concentration profiles at CuNi Alloy Surfaces.
Indra Dasgupta and Abhijit Mookerjee.
J. Phys Condens Matter 8, 4125 (1996 )
11. An Augmented Space Recursive Technique for the analysis of alloy phase stability in random binary alloys.
Indra Dasgupta, Tanusri Saha and Abhijit Mookerjee
Phys. Rev. B 51, 3413 (1995)
10. Quantum Percolation (Review Article)
Abhijit Mookerjee, Indra Dasgupta, and Tanusri Saha
Int. J. Mod. Phys. B 9, 2989 (1995)
9. Study of electrons in contact with non-markovian baths.
Indra Dasgupta, and Abhijit Mookerjee
J. Phys. Condens Matter 6, 1545 (1994).
8. Stochastic Resonances and the Mobility Edge in the three dimensional tight binding Anderson Model .
Indra Dasgupta, Tanusri Saha, and Abhijit Mookerjee
Phys. Rev. B 50, 4867 (1994)
7. An Augmented Space recursive Technique for the calculation of electronic structure of random binary alloys.
Tanusri Saha, Indra Dasgupta, and Abhijit Mookerjee
J. Phys. Condens. Matter 6, L245 (1994)
6. An Augmented Space Recursive Method for the study of short range ordering effects in binary alloys
Tanusri Saha, Indra Dasgupta and Abhijit Mookerjee
Phys. Rev. B 50, 13267 (1994).
5. Quantum Transmittance And Resonance In 2-D Quantum Percolation Model
Indra Dasgupta, Tanusri Saha , Abhijit Mookerjee, and B. K. Chakrabarti
A.I.P Conference Proceedings 286 , 249 (1994)
4. Analysis of Stochastic Resonances in two dimensional Quantum Percolation Model.
Indra Dasgupta, Tanusri Saha, and Abhijit Mookerjee
Phys. Rev. B 47, 3097 (1993)
3. Is There A Delocalization Transition In a Two-dimensional Model For Quantum Percolation ?
Indra Dasgupta, Tanusri Saha, Abhijit Mookerjee, and B. K. Chakrabarti
Mod. Phys. Lett. B 6 , 817 (1992).
2. Quantum Percolation and breakdown. Absence of the delocalization transition in two dimensions.
Abhijit Mookerjee, Bikas K. Chakrabarti , Indra Dasgupta, and Tanusri Saha
Physica A 186 , 258 (1992)
1. Scaling of resistance in two dimensional tight binding Anderson Model.
Indra Dasgupta , Tanusri Saha, and Abhijit Mookerjee
J. Phys. Condens Matter 4, 7865 (1992).
Mechanics ( UG, IIT Bombay)
Classical Mechanics (EP, IIT Bombay)
Mathematical Methods I (MSc, IIT Bombay & IACS)
Quantum Mechanics II (MSc, IACS)
Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics (MSc, IIT Bombay & IACS)
Advanced Simulation Techniques in Physics ( MSc, PhD, IIT Bombay)
Programming in Fortran 90 ( MSc , IIT Bombay & IACS)
Electronic Theory of Solids (MSc, IIT Kharagpur)
Electronic Structure and Properties of Materials (PhD, IACS)
Condensed Matter Physics -II (M.Sc Ramakrishna Mission Narendrapur)
Bright and motivated students with an outstanding academic record can apply for the positions of:
Indian member in the general council of Asia Pacific Centre for Theoretical Physics (APCTP), Pohang, Korea
MRSI Medal Lecture, (2016)
Award for excellence in teaching from IIT Bombay, (2004)
Max Planck Fellowship, (1995-1999)
National merit scholarship awarded by Govt. of India on the basis of B.Sc Physics Honours result, (1988-1990)
Other contributions and Academic/Technical activities:
Referee work for Physical Review Letters, Physical Review B, Physical Review E, Solid State Communications, Journal of Applied Physics, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Journal of Physics D, International Journal of Modern Physics B, Modern Physics Letters, Pramanna and Indian Journal of Physics.
Honorary Associate Editor, Indian Journal of Physics, (2008-present)
Membership of Professional Bodies:
1. Member of American Physical Society.
2. Life member of Materials Research Society of India.
3. Life member of Indian Physics Association.
4. Life member of Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science.
Synergistic tunability of visible emissions using component modulated coupled dots”, Indian Patent Filed (DICTEM Control No.: 1050/KOL/2010/NPA02/2010).
Inventors: S Acharya, I Dasgupta, N Ganguli, D D Sarma, and S Sengupta
School of Physical Sciences
Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science
Jadavpur, Kolkata 700 032, India
Phone: +91-33-24734971 (Ext. 1319, Office) (Ext. 2130, 2134 Lab)
Field of Interest
Theoretical and Computational Condensed Matter Physics
Areas Of Research Interest
1. Development of formalism and methods for electronic structure calculations.
2. Study of multiferroic and spintronic materials.
3. Frustrated and low dimensional quantum spin systems systems; Spin liquids.
3. Spin orbit coupled and correlated quantum matter.
4. Transport and magnetism in novel nanomaterials.
5. Multiscale simulations of novel functional materials.
6. Study of superconductivity in disordered alloys
7. Study of electronic structure and phase stability of random alloys.
8. Quantum transmittance in two and three dimensional disordered media.